Tuesday 11 September 2012

Parenting lessons

This parenting thing is still pretty new to me.  Little Guy has only been inhaling air (I'd say "on the earth" but technically he was on the earth for an extra 9 months) for almost 14 months and he is capable of things I never thought kids that age would be.  For example...

I decided he needed some kind of outdoor physical activity to prevent him from taking a keen interest in moving vehicles.  Something where he had more independence and control.  My first thought was a tricycle, I had a really cool one when I was little and loved it therefore he should have one, right?  My thoughts pertaining to the little guy are often peppered with nostalgia.  Anyway, we drove all over the place and couldn't find a nice one or one that was small enough.  My husband suggested the local bike shop (which is conveniently also his favourite store).  We weren't more than four steps in the door and Little Guy is yelling "bykeh! bykeh!" (bike), running up to, touching and investigating every bike he can see.  They didn't have any tricycles so we took a look at the run bikes.  They had a nice black and red one (very boyish) so we brought it down to the floor and set him on it.  I was shocked! He was actually big enough to ride it!  And ride it he did, all over the store, twice.  When I tried to take him off it...well lets just say that proved rather difficult for several reasons.

We bought the bike.

He has been out riding it three of four times already and loves it (don't worry Grandma, he wears a helmet).  He would rather you do not assist him in any way shape or form, he will voice his displeasure if you do.  When he falls off he doesn't cry, just picks himself up mounts the bike again and keeps going.  Also, thanks to the bike he is not so easily distracted by moving vehicles.

My lesson from all of this...never underestimate what Little Guy might be capable of.  

If I think he might be able to, he's probably already done it months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment