Monday 1 October 2012

Parenting lessons

We took Little Dude to the Zoo this past weekend.  His favourite book as of late is My Heart Is Like A Zoo so we thought maybe he will make a connection or two.  At the Zoo there is a new penguin exhibit, Penguin Plunge, that we were eager to experience with him in tow.  Upon arrival we packed up the stroller, lathered on the sunscreen, topped up the water bottles and headed toward the gate.  The penguin exhibit is right at the main entrance and when when arrived there was already a 30 minute wait (or so the sign said).  I thought we should wait and do this first, my husband thought we should do this on the way out because then the wait would be shorter.  I relented and off we went.  First the dinosaur park (which garnered the loudest and most excited response form Little Dude), then the safari (he liked the giraffe and zebras), the butterfly conservatory, the tigers and more.  After four hours he was pooped and so were we.  We thought we should be heading out soon so off we went to the penguin exhibit where there still was a 30 minute wait.  We successfully tried to keep Little Dude awake while waiting in line, you know all that annoying Mommy/Daddy talking and joking.  The wait was only about 10 minutes, then we entered.  What a neat exhibit!  I must say that the emperor penguins are much smaller than I thought and boy can penguins zip through the water.  It was fascinating.  Little guy didn't seem to care one iota.  This disappointed my husband but I can't say I was surprised.  All he wanted to do was sleep (Little Dude, not my husband).  Who doesn't after four hours in the sun, running around discovering and learning?

This was an "I told you so moment".

Next time we will plan to visit the main event first.

No comments:

Post a Comment